Elk River Harmonicas Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:34:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum is back and active. Sorry guys that it was down so long. 7/28/2016 - DP

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Elk River Harmonicas Calendar Members Login Register  

Relative Two Key Tremolo tuning

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Relative Two Key Tremolo tuning  (Read 118 times)
elkriverharmonicas
Administrator
Benevolent Overlord

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:36:15 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok, here's a neat little tremolo. Don sent me an echo for repair quite a while back, I'm going to have
to actually make reeds for it, I'm not going to have time to make any reeds until next month at least.
So, in the meantime, Don has been very gracious about it. Also in the meantime, I've been cooking
up a neat little Tremolo for Don as a thank you for being so cool about everything. I'm pretty sure
it's a one-of-a-kind. It's a three key Bergzauber. It has a new tuning I came up with, two key tremolo,
then a regular C solo tuned on the other side.

The C side has the regular tuning. The G side has a new tuning, I'll call it the two-key-tremolo tuning.
 It will work on any solo-tuned tremolo tuning.
Here's the new tuning on the G side vis a vis the old
Old:
A C E F#A C E F#A C E F#
G B D G  G B D G  G B D G

New tuning:
A D F# F#A C E F#A C E F#
G B E   G  G B D G  G B D G

The point of this is to make Em playing more natural. We're taking what was essentially a draw
harp position for Em into a more powerful blow position and the great part about it is both Em
and G feel perfectly natural. If you trace an Em scale on the original and then on the new tuning,
it should make it clear.
I embossed the reeds and did some gap work. I also flattened the comb, I sanded the comb...
 I thought, "hey, what if I made a tremolo that was thinner? It would probably be easier to play
 right?

I learned the hard way, that when you sand a tremolo comb that thin, the coverplates don't
 fit anymore. So I had to drill it out and put some brass screws on it to make it work.

I'm not quite happy with how the Em G side plays, still doing some reedwork on that side. The C
 side is perfect.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:41:19 pm by elkriverharmonicas » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics
Home