Elk River Harmonicas Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:54:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum is back and active. Sorry guys that it was down so long. 7/28/2016 - DP

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Elk River Harmonicas Calendar Members Login Register  

Now this one's different...(Don, check THIS out!)

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Now this one's different...(Don, check THIS out!)  (Read 232 times)
Steve Williams
Harmonica Rascal

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:19:21 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Don,

Thought that you'd like this one. Diana came back from Crafts 2000 the other day and laughingly presented me with a $2.99 harmonica she had spotted while shopping there. Wooden (finished, a pretty blonde color) covers, a totally worthless cheap tremolo comb and reeds, Chinese made.  On an impulse, I pulled out that Chinese C Echo that I got from you, measured, and guess what - perfect fit!  Took both apart, put the Echo comb and reed plates in the wooden covers, tweaked the screws a little bit for a good fit...what a hoot that little baby turned into! A very clear dry sound, you can feel those wood covers vibrate as you play it. It fits perfectly in the Echo box, and I've never seen or played anything quite like it. Diana and I both like the sound better than with the stock metal covers.

Dave I'll make sure and bring it when we get together to work on the tremolo numbers. It made a complete difference in that little Echo...who'd a thunk it?  Cheesy

I just call it "The Hillbilly Harp"...!  Cool

Steve
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

elkriverharmonicas
Administrator
Benevolent Overlord

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:24:32 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

It FIT the Echo? Maybe it's an Echo with a wood cover, Wink Wow. That's awesome. You ought to sand it and stain it, maybe do some scroll work... that would be something.

Dave
dddeon
Great Harmonica Rascal

Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:03:22 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Grin Steve, I think that you can only call it a "Hillbilly Harp" if the harmonica has covers made from corn cobs!! (Only kidding!! SmileyGrin

Do you have any pictures of it??

I'm guessing that those 32 hole tremolo bodies (Huang, Victory, Swan, Hohner (China), etc.) made in China are probably all interchangeable. You know with China being the mass production center of the world.

Does it look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wooden-Melody-Harmonica-Children-Kids-Educational-Toys_W0QQitemZ390098245925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad3aad925

The covers on that one don't look like they'd be too hard to make if you have the right tools.

Don

Steve Williams
Harmonica Rascal

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 01:22:31 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

That would be the one, Don. This one is blonde with a clear finish over it, I treated it to a little Fiddlebrite polish and it looks real nice.  Diana took some pictures but I couldn't get them to post here...I forwarded them to Dave to see if he might have better luck.  Grin

Steve
elkriverharmonicas
Administrator
Benevolent Overlord

Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:21:28 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hey Steve, to post a pic in a forum, it has to already be uploaded on the internet and the post links to it. Photobucket is one such place where you can upload your photos for linking to later. It is free.
In this case, the pics have been uploaded to the Elk server, which is a exact replica of the computer Richard Pryor used in Superman III.Wink

dddeon
Great Harmonica Rascal

Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:19:12 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I like the look! Clean and simple. Much better than the ones with the ladybugs, tulips, roses, etc.

I wonder if it would be easy to "steam" off the label from the original Echo box and do a little decoupage (lacquer the paper label onto the wood). I bet that those "crafty" people at Craft2000 would be able to tell you how to do it.
Steve Williams
Harmonica Rascal

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 01:25:26 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I checked Don...the label is too big. It's just a nice clean looking little tremolo that came out way better then I had hoped for, one of those little "hmmm...wonder if that would work?" deals that did!  Cheesy

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics
Home